Menu
News

Disturbing new bathroom sex attack details

A heated debate is raging over Thursday’s incident. Picture: Channel 9
A heated debate is raging over Thursday’s incident. Picture: Channel 9

As new details emerge about the man who is alleged to have sexually assaulted a young girl in a southern Sydney dance studio bathroom - under pressure pollies have vowed to leave "no stone unturned" in their inquest into how he was given parole.

The shocking incident in Kogarah on Thursday has been the subject of a heated debate after it emerged the alleged attacker had been released from prison early - after serving a sentence for raping a 60-year-old woman.

Kogarah dentist Jeffrey Stack, who came to the seven-year-old girl's defence, broke down into tears as he spoke publicly about the horrifying attack for the first time.

"It was all very traumatic. It was a shocking experience, trust me," Dr Stack told 9 News.

"In this instance (the parole decision) they obviously got it very, very wrong. It needs to be addressed so this can't happen again."

The revelation that a Sydney girl's alleged molester was on parole has provoked a call for a system-wide review of New South Wales' early release program.

The alleged attack has sent shockwaves through south Sydney. Picture: Channel 9
The alleged attack has sent shockwaves through south Sydney. Picture: Channel 9

The 54-year-old allegedly assaulted the seven-year-old in the toilet of a dance studio in Kogarah and then knifed a man who came to the girl's rescue on Thursday night.

Yesterday, it was revealed that the man had been on parole since September last year after being jailed over a violent sexual assault in the Illawarra region in 2012.

The Wollongong District Court heard the attacker lured the woman to his home in October 2012 - telling her he was selling two second-hand tables.

However, he then pulled out a 25cm knife before sexually assaulting the woman multiple times.

Today, The Daily Telegraph revealed more disturbing details about the rape from court documents.

Nick Gilio is still recovering from his heroics. Picture: Jenny Evans
Nick Gilio is still recovering from his heroics. Picture: Jenny Evans

It found that he compiled a list of women - aged 23 to 83 - from newspaper clippings who he would ring to suggest disgusting sex acts.

The father-of-two pleaded guilty in the District Court in 2013 to luring the woman to his Wollongong home, forcing her to strip and wielding a knife as he told her: "Now we'll have some fun."

Police found a "rape kit" of gaffer tape, cable ties, nylon rope and a roll of wire in his bedroom along with porn DVDs and magazines and an envelope listing the other women's names and numbers with comments next to them such as "very young" and "older".

The State Parole Authority revoked his parole within hours of Thursday's arrest.

NSW Opposition Leader Michael Daley said the incident was more than just a rudimentary mistake and was a failing on the part of the government.

The man who tried to stop the attack is being hailed as a hero. Picture: 9 NEWS
The man who tried to stop the attack is being hailed as a hero. Picture: 9 NEWS

He called for a system-wide review of parole and more resources for police.

"The police do an amazing job keeping tabs on some of the most dangerous offenders in our society but they cannot do it with one hand tied behind their backs," Mr Daley said in a statement.

NSW Corrections Minister David Elliott said he was "deeply troubled" after learning the girl's alleged attacker was on parole for a violent sexual attack and requested an urgent briefing.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian backed her minister and said her government would address any issue that may be uncovered in the dance studio case incident.

"Once we get further details, we'll determine if we need to take further action," she told reporters. "NSW has the toughest parole laws in the land, we have the toughest supervision laws in the land. I don't want to leave a single stone unturned."

The man, who is yet to be charged, is accused of molesting the girl then stabbing a 46-year-old man in the abdomen and neck when confronted in the bathroom.

The 54-year-old was subdued and remains under police guard in hospital with facial injuries.

The man, who served three years in prison for the 2012 sexual assault, first became eligible for parole consideration in October 2016 but wasn't released until September 2017, a parole authority spokeswoman told AAP.

His sentence expires on October 21, 2019.

Dentist Jeffrey Stack broke down as he spoke of the attack. Picture: Channel 9
Dentist Jeffrey Stack broke down as he spoke of the attack. Picture: Channel 9

Topics:  alleged crime dentist editors picks new south whales sex attack