Crashed ute speared by pole

IT was a horror start to the day for Jamie White when he fell asleep at the wheel and crashed through a fence, a steel pole spearing the windscreen of his blue Holden ute.

On the bright side it narrowly missed the 23-year-old driver when it penetrated the cabin and exited the rear window.

Prosecutor Sgt Barry Stevens told Gladstone Magistrates Court that White told police officers at the crash scene he believed he had fallen asleep and 'blacked out' when travelling home to Calliope at 5.30am as he had been feeling tired.

The crash happened on the Dawson Highway on Monday, May 9, near the intersection with Chamberlain Road. The ute received major damage to its roof, front and side.White was fortunate to suffer only a minor hand injury.

White was found guilty by magistrate Melanie Ho of driving without due care and attention, and fined $800. Ms Ho recorded a conviction.

In unrelated matters three other drivers went before the court on Monday after being charged with drink driving offences.

Jayden Biber, 21, was fined $1200 after he was caught drink driving in June with an alcohol reading four times the legal limit.

Biber pleaded guilty to driving under the influence with an alcohol reading of .203 along Glenlyon Road at 2.50am on Saturday June 18.

Sgt Stevens said officers on patrol saw Biber's vehicle swaying from one side of the road then partially mount a medium strip.

"He says he shouldn't have driven home but just wanted to go to bed," Sgt Stevens said.

Biber told the magistrate it had been "a stupid mistake" and Ms Ho said he was lucky not to have hurt himself or someone else. His licence was disqualified for 12 months.

Driver Clayton Sorrensen, 23, pleaded guilty to driving under the influence with an alcohol reading that also tipped four times the legal limit.

Sgt Stevens said Sorrensen recorded a reading of .198 at 11.15pm on Friday, June 17.

He had just driven 20m from the Central Lane hotel with the intention of heading down the street to a nightclub that was close walking distance.

"He is at loss to explain what his thought process was as he intended to leave his vehicle in a secure carpark overnight. He didn't get far," lawyer Cassandra Ditchfield said.

Ms Ho said his high reading was of concern, saying Sorrensen had little recollection and had to piece together what he did by asking friends. Fined $1200 he was disqualified for 12months.

Matthew Shelley, 23, pleaded guilty to drink driving (.114) at 11.45pm on June 11, saying his designated driver met a girl at the party they attended and left. Fined $800 he was disqualified three months.

Topics:  crash qfes