PARENTS are being told to keep their kids at home as schools are shut down for Friday as well as today with ex-Cyclone Debbie battering Queensland.
At a press conference this afternoon Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk made the announcement that the state's schools would remain shut for another day.
Important School Update: All SEQ schools will remain closed tomorrow. For the most up to date information - https://t.co/eBS8SBo4KS— AnnastaciaPalaszczuk (@AnnastaciaMP) March 30, 2017
"I need to do exactly what our families did when Cyclone Debbie crossed the coast," she said.
"I need you to stay indoors. I need you to stay off the roads. We haven't seen the worst.
"We are seeing heavy rainfalls. We are going to see thunder. This is a severe weather event.
"That is why we took the unprecedented step of closing schools.
"That is why schools will remain closed tomorrow.
"If you have plans … to see friends/family please do not.
"Please stay in your home.
"Queenslanders who have experienced full force. We are with you as well."
All state, Independent and Catholic schools between Agnes Water in the north, the NSW border in the south and west to Nanango are closed for today and Friday.
The Queensland Department of Education has posted a list of which schools are closed here: http://closures.det.qld.gov.au/
A spokesperson for the Department of Education and Training said before taking their children to school, parents should local weather conditions and road access, and put their safety - and that of their children - above all else.
That includes the Fraser Coast.
This may also affect early learning and childcare centres.
Given the nature of the weather, check the status of your specific school directly if unsure.
URGENT MESSAGE: all state schools in Metropolitan,North Coast and South East Regions are closed today. Listen to ABC radio for updated info.— Queensland DET (@QLDDET) March 29, 2017
The Bureau of Meteorology has issued top priority warnings to inland and coastal communities for widespread heavy rainfall, gale-strength winds and riverine and flash flooding.
Parents should not only consider the risks of the travel journey to school but also the return journey at the end of the school day in response to the deteriorating weather that is forecast during Thursday.
The Department asks parents to tune into their local ABC radio - the official emergency broadcaster - for weather and road updates.
They should regularly monitor the Bureau of Meteorology website bom.gov.au for wind, rainfall and flood updates.
"We need parents to plan their day, and their children's travel to and from school, with the full knowledge of this changing and dangerous weather system."
For information about school closures, continue checking the Department's School Closures website at closures.det.qld.gov.au/ for the most up-to-date information about the status of schools in affected areas.
"We would like to reassure all of our affected school communities that our thoughts are with them during this difficult time. The safety of all of our staff, our students and their families will always be our highest priority.
State school closures (6.42am*) - If unsure, confirm with your local school.
- Alligator Creek State School
- Aldridge State High School
- Albert State School
- Anakie State School
- Andergrove State School
- Avondale State School
- Beaconsfield State School
- Bloomsbury State School
- Booyal Central State School
- Bowen State High School
- Bowen State School
- Bucasia State School
- Bullyard State School
- Calen District State College
- Cannonvale State School
- Carmila State School
- Chelona State School
- Childers State School
- Collinsville State High School
- Collinsville State School
- Coningsby State School
- Coppabella State School
- Cordalba State School
- Dundula State School
- Eimeo Road State School
- Eton State School
- Eungella State School
- Farleigh State School
- Finch Hatton State School
- Fitzgerald State School
- Gargett State School
- Givelda State School
- Glenella State School
- Goodwood State School
- Gumlu State School
- Hamilton Island State School
- Hampden State School
- Hayman Island State School
- Hervey Bay State High School
- Homebush State School
- Isis District State High School
- Kilcummin State School
- Kinchant Dam Outdoor Education Centre
- Koumala State School
- Lochington State School
- Lowmead State School
- Mackay Central State School
- Mackay District Special School
- Mackay North State High School
- Mackay North State School
- Mackay Northern Beaches SHS - Special Education Program
- Mackay Northern Beaches State High School
- Mackay State High School
- Mackay West State School
- Marian State School
- Merinda State School
- Mirani State High School
- Mirani State School
- Moranbah East State School
- Moranbah State High School
- Moranbah State School
- Nebo State School
- North Eton State School
- Northview SS - Special Education Program
- Northview State School
- Oakenden State School
- Pindi Pindi State School
- Pinnacle State School
- Pioneer SHS - Special Education Program
- Pioneer State High School
- Proserpine State High School
- Proserpine State School
- Queens Beach State School
- Rosedale State School
- Sarina State High School
- Sarina State School
- Scottville State School
- Seaforth State School
- Slade Point State School
- St Lawrence State School
- Swayneville SS - Special Education Program
- Swayneville State School
- Thangool State School
- Victoria Park State School
- Walkerston State School
- Wartburg State School
- Yandaran State School
Catholic and Independent schools closures
- Burdekin Christian College (Adelaide St)
- Burnett Youth Learning Centre
- Calvary Christian College
- Carlisle Adventist Christian College
- Emmanuel Catholic Primary School
- Holy Spirit College (Mount Pleasant)
- Mackay Christian College (N. Mackay (Ambrose Way)
- MacKillop Catholic Primary School (Andergrove)
- Mercy College (Mackay)
- Shalom Christian College
- St Anne's Catholic Primary School (Sarina)
- St Brendan's Catholic Primary School
- St Catherine's Catholic College The Whitsundays (Proserpine (Marathon Street))
- St Catherine's Catholic College The Whitsundays (Proserpine (Renwick Road))
- St Francis Xavier Catholic Primary School (Mackay)
- St John Bosco Catholic School (Collinsville)
- St John's Catholic Primary School (Walkerston)
- St Joseph's Catholic Primary School (Mackay)
- St Mary's Catholic Primary School (Mackay)
- St Mary's Catholic School (Bowen)
- St Patrick's College (Mackay)
- Whitsunday Anglican School (Mackay)
- Whitsunday Christian College
Early Childhood Education Centres
Parents are encouraged to make direct contact with their Early Childhood Education Centre/Provider for advice on whether it will be closed.